How We’re Building Our Community to Be LGBTQ+-Inclusive
Living in a place where it’s easy to connect with others and socialize is one of the many benefits of choosing an LGBT-friendly senior living community like Opus Newton. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ) seniors face unique challenges when it comes to aging, and they’re seeking safe spaces to retire in comfort and continue to build on their emotional, physical, and financial security. Opus Newton by 2Life is building a welcoming culture for LGBT seniors and their friends, families, and partners.
Creating a Culture of Inclusivity
Leadership sets the tone in an organization, and Opus Newton’s leaders are dedicated to building a welcoming community for those who identify as LGBTQ. This is an empowering experience for staff members throughout the organization, and we want to share some of the intentional ways 2Life leadership and staff are actively building inclusive senior living communities.
2Life staff members will participate in the LGBTQ+ Elders in an Ever-Changing World conference in June 2023. Coming up on its 12th year in June, this annual one-day conference focuses on interdisciplinary practice and community engagement for people working with LGBTQ+ older adults and caregivers.
In addition to the conference, 2Life has a long-standing relationship working with the LGBTQIA+ Aging Project to offer training and education for staff and residents. The LGBTQIA+ Aging Project is a Boston-based non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that LGBTQ older adults have equal access to life-prolonging benefits, protection, services, and institutions as heterosexual and cisgender adults do. Training sessions with the LGBTQIA+ Aging Project includes Building Bridges: Creating Conversations Around LGBTQIA+ Older Adults and Community Conversations on LGBTQIA+ Aging.
LGBTQ-Friendly Senior Living
At Opus Newton, you can relax and be yourself in an LGBTQ-friendly senior living community that’s respectful of your pronouns and your expressed gender. We have a vision to be a welcoming and inclusive community for all, and here are some of the ways we’re bringing this vision to life:
- A framework for diversity, equity and inclusivity. We’re committed to ensuring a safe and supportive environment for all with an inclusive approach that includes:
- Discrimination-free housing policies
- Inclusive services and amenities
- LGBTQ+ resources and support
- Partnerships with LGBTQ+ organizations
- Support for resident-led LGBTQ+ clubs and committees
- Inclusive activities and events on and off campus
- Zero tolerance for discrimination and harassment
- LGBTQ training for staff. Cultural competency training for employees serving the community brings awareness to the fundamental understanding that all people are deserving of compassion and respect, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
- Volunteer and social opportunities. Opus Newton offers a robust volunteer program that empowers you to lean into your unique interests, talents and perspectives. You’ll have the opportunity to start or join resident-led social groups for LBGTQ seniors. These groups can provide an instant connection and a safe space for discussion with like-minded individuals.
- LGBTQ pride. Opus Newton is a place where rainbow flags are always welcome and Pride Month celebrations are part of who we are. We have a vision to be a progressive ally for underrepresented groups by sponsoring events, speakers and lectures that highlight diverse perspectives.
Join Us to Celebrate Pride Month
With support from a number of 2Life community members, we’re planning Pride Month educational programs offered on-site, as well as the formation of a group who will participate in the Pride parade. Please contact us for more information about these upcoming events.
The Future Is Bright with Opus Newton
Opus by 2Life has a strong culture of inclusivity and a commitment to provide all seniors with a healthy and secure retirement experience. Contact our team to learn more about independent living in Opus Newton, our LGBT-friendly community in Newton, MA, where every person is welcomed, valued and supported.