Explore Your New Area for New Experiences
As a kid, everything is fresh and new because we’ve never done it before. But as we grow older, it’s easy to get into a rut. Driving the same route between school, work and home. Shopping at the same stores. Eating at the same places. After a while, going outside of our usual routine can be a little unnerving and even anxiety inducing, but there are benefits to exploring new places. Plus, when you go on adventure with friends, new memories are made and connections deepen.
At Opus Newton, an important part of our social wellness for seniors philosophy is exploring the world around you. That’s why our new community just outside Boston in Newton, MA, offers so much to see and do right outside your door.
The Benefits of Being Curious
Besides offering you an opportunity to learn and have new experiences, curiosity comes with other advantages, including:
- Improving your mental health: New experiences boost happiness and satisfaction and keeps your brain active as you learn and explore new places and meet new people.
- Expanding your horizons: Whether you’re traveling around your own city, country or anywhere else in the world, traveling to someplace new will deepen your understanding of other ways of life and give you a larger world view.
- Renewing your sense of self: Successfully doing something outside of your comfort zone can give renewed feelings of strength, independence and confidence.
- Relaxing and recharging: Going on a leisurely walk in a new environment or having a relaxing day outdoors can help calm you and recharge your mind, body and soul.
- Enhancing your creativity: Exploring new places can expose you to new traditions, beliefs and real-life experiences. In turn, these new skills and insights could help spark your creativity and interests.
Caring for Your Social Wellness
What is social wellness for seniors? It refers to connecting with those around you and the building of a strong social network of meaningful relationships. According to research, some of the benefits of staying socially active include:
- Resistance to certain diseases: Taking part in social and leisure activities may lower the risk of developing some health problems such as dementia.
- Enjoying a longer life: Research shows that seniors with strong social connections may live longer than those that are isolated.
- Reducing chances of depression: Social isolation can lead to depression in seniors. Maintaining current relationships and building new ones helps reduce the chances of becoming depressed.
- Being more resilient: Having a strong social network for support can help with stress and loneliness from losing a loved one. Studies also suggest that taking part in volunteer activities can help with positive feelings.
- Improving cognitive abilities: Some studies have shown being socially active and taking part in cognitively stimulating activities with others (such as playing chess, taking classes) can help preserve or improve your cognitive abilities.
How to Improve Your Social Wellness
Here are a few suggestions for how you can meet other people who share your interests and goals.
- Community centers: Your local recreational center is a good place to find a variety of activities, classes and educational talks so you’re sure to form a few new friendships.
- Volunteering: Mentoring and sharing your skills and life experiences with others is a good way to build relationships.
- Senior living communities: Moving to a community is a great way to meet people with similar interests. Plus, communities typically have a social calendar filled with classes, events, clubs and outings.
Explore Your Curious Side at Opus Newton
With so much to discover in and around our new community in Newton, Massachusetts, you’ll find plenty of curiosity activities for adults to help promote your overall health and wellness. Want to learn more about our refreshingly innovative lifestyle for older adults? Contact us here.